This Master Class is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia.
domain: science of people
program: winning people's support
Spring: Session 1 - Jan. 30, 2017 to Mar. 12, 2017
Session 2 - Mar. 27, 2017 to May. 7, 2017
Summer: Session 1 - May. 22, 2017 to Jul. 2, 2017
Fall: Session 1 - Sep. 11, 2017 to Oct. 22, 2017
Session 2 - Nov. 6, 2017 to Dec. 17, 2017
Enroll Now by providing your contact details in the form on the right. Click on Proceed to Enroll to complete your enrollment.
We have limited scholarships available. Learn more
Get key stakeholders to support your cause
Many of us are trained in the technical mastery of our disciplines, but not in how to influence others. And yet, without this ability to influence people, teams, organizations and communities, our well-intentioned ideas will gather dust and we won't be able to succeed at making the transition from strong individual contributor to a strong manager or leader.
This class introduces you to best practices in influencing. It teaches you a toolkit of 12 influencing tactics identified by recent scientific findings. It shows you how great leaders approach influencing in a strategic manner, with a focus on the long-term, and distills this into 5 principles of strategic influencing. These 12 tactics and 5 principles will help you become increasingly effective at influencing others over the course of your career. You will also get a template that you can use to plan and execute influencing dialogs.
In addition, through a series of film clips, video-based role-plays and an acclaimed feature film, you will get a chance to see influencing in action and to practice and get feedback on your own approach to influencing.
What You Will Learn
- Differentiating between compliance and commitment
- 12 Influencing Tactics
- 5 Influencing Principles for sustained strategic impact
- 4-part toolkit to prepare for and conduct an influencing discussion
- IPL’s library of video-based role-plays that demonstrate poor and strong examples of influencing in practice
- How great leaders gained commitment for their agenda from a broad range of stakeholders
- Feature film that powerfully illustrates great influencing in action
This IPL-Columbia Master Class offers you the opportunity to go on a focused 6-week learning journey to gain mastery over a particular personal leadership topic. Scientific insights and tools are supplemented with a strong dose of practice and personal integration.
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Time Required: 2 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- Certificate of Completion from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Strategic Influencing is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.