This Master Class is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia.
Power of Storytelling
domain: science of people
program: connecting & inspiring
Spring: Session 1 - Jan. 30, 2017 to Mar. 12, 2017
Session 2 - Mar. 27, 2017 to May. 7, 2017
Summer: Session 1 - May. 22, 2017 to Jul. 2, 2017
Fall: Session 1 - Sep. 11, 2017 to Oct. 22, 2017
Session 2 - Nov. 6, 2017 to Dec. 17, 2017
Enroll Now by providing your contact details in the form on your right. Click on Proceed to Enroll to complete your enrollment.
We have limited scholarships available. Learn more
Win People’s Hearts by Communicating Through Stories
Our ideas, aspirations and plans, however brilliant, carry no weight unless we can win over other people. Great leaders have recognized the power of storytelling to go beyond the sharing of facts and logic in winning their audience’s hearts – not simply in their formal speeches, but also in everyday conversations. And yet, storytelling remains one of the most under-tapped tools in leadership, one that most leaders have not formally tapped as a key tool for personal impact.
Power of Storytelling will teach you a powerful communication tool for organizing your strategic ideas into a compelling story. It will then train you in key principles of storytelling, show you how to build a library of powerful personal stories, and help you practice using these stories to guide, motivate and inspire others. You will walk out with a powerful and practical toolkit that can help transform your approach to communication – and your impact.
What You Will Learn
- Powerful communication tool to help organize your facts, conclusions and recommendations in a persuasive story structure
- How to use stories at work to inform, engage, persuade and build trust
- 10 Storytelling Principles for collecting, developing, adapting and narrating stories for maximum impact
- Storytelling Checklist to guide you in preparing your next story
- Opportunities to practice and get feedback on your storytelling using IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform
- Highlights from IPL’s story collection drawn from over 1,000 stories shared by past executive participants in IPL’s Personal Leadership classes – to help you start to build your own collection
This IPL-Columbia Master Class offers you the opportunity to go on a focused 6-week learning journey to gain mastery over a particular personal leadership topic. Scientific insights and tools are supplemented with a strong dose of practice and personal integration.
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Time Required: 2 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback
- Certificate of Completion from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Power of Storytelling is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.