This Master Class is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia.
Speaking with Impact
domain: science of people
program: connecting & inspiring
Maximize Your Public-Speaking Impact by Creating Deep Resonance with Your Audience
When we take center stage – in moderating a discussion, facilitating a workshop, delivering a speech or teaching a class – we get a pivotal opportunity to shape other people’s views, build trust, cultivate our personal brand, and inspire people to action. Mastering public speaking is therefore critical to maximizing our impact as leaders. But many of us suffer from public speaking anxiety, and even those who are very confident with public speaking may not be that effective at it.
How can you master public speaking? Is there a way to tame public speaking anxiety? Are there techniques that will help you create an immediate connection with your audience, reduce the pressure you feel, and maximize your impact? How can you communicate with your audience in an authentic manner? What’s the best way to respond to disagreement or disruptive behavior from the audience?
Speaking with Impact takes you on an inside-out journey into understanding and forging a powerful and intimate connection with your audience. It bucks the conventional trend to emphasizing simply the outer language of public speaking – enunciation, tone of voice, body language and facial expressions – and instead invites you to consider your, and the audience’s, values, thoughts, feelings, beliefs and motivations. Instead of focusing on outer engagement with your audience, you will learn to cultivate inner resonance. Speaking with Impact will show you how, when you are fully integrated and connected with your audience from within, you create conditions for authentic expression, deeper engagement, and a collective journey toward your end goal.
What You Will Learn
- An inside-out framework that defines the key building blocks for audience impact
- Scientific insights into what speakers can do to make audiences engage with, trust, and support them
- Practical techniques for developing a winning connection with your audience
- Best practices on how to deal with moments of conflict, difficult personalities and detractors.
- Insights and tools for using visual communication to inform, persuade and inspire your audiences
- How great leaders have mastered their audience
- Video-based role-play practice and feedback of pivotal public speaking situations using IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform
This IPL-Columbia Master Class offers you the opportunity to go on a focused 6-week learning journey to gain mastery over a particular personal leadership topic. Scientific insights and tools are supplemented with a strong dose of practice and personal integration.
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Time Required: 2 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback
- Certificate of Completion from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Speaking with Impact is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.