This Master Class is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia.
DOMAIN: SCIENCE OF SELF
PROGRAM: MASTERING YOUR SELF
Cultivate Self-Discipline, Master the Relentless Demands of Time
Even with the best of intentions, we often find ourselves struggling to pursue our priorities in life and leadership. To close this gap we need to gain mastery over our everyday behaviors and choices. This class focuses on three paths to Lead with Discipline:
- Time Management: So much to do, and so little time. This unrelenting pressure drives us to stress, distraction, rushed decisions, strained relationships, and a gnawing feeling that we’re not living up to our highest aspirations. This class eschews the usual practice of offering a wide array of time management tips and tools. Instead, it invites you to step back and take an honest look at how you approach life and leadership along 10 principles of “Managing Time by Managing Your Self”. It provides you 5 key guidelines on how to work smarter, not work harder. You will walk away with an appreciation for how the clock of life is actually on your own mental wrist, ticking on a beat that you can direct.
- Self-Discipline: Recent scientific studies show that self-discipline is at the core of success in life and leadership. This class helps you understand what “self-discipline” means and gives powerful insights into why we all find it hard, from time to time, to practice it. It gives you a set of practical, scientifically-validated behaviors and tools you can use to improve your self-discipline in any arena where it is important for you.
- Affirmation & Visualization: Recent psychological studies reveal the strong influence our thoughts and imagination have on our behavior, and thus, on our performance. This class will introduce you to a set of simple yet powerful tools – Affirmation and Visualization – to allow you to use the power of thought and imagination to create intentional change and pursue growth in life and leadership.
What You Will Learn
- Framework for how to maximize your productivity
- 10 Principles for how to manage time by managing your self
- Guided reflection to help implement these principles to help you generate immediate gains in productivity
- 5 key insights – and an associated toolkit – for how you can “work smarter, not work harder”
- Scientific findings on how self-discipline drives success in life and leadership
- Practical techniques for cultivating self-discipline
- How your thoughts and imagination affect your behavior
- Practical techniques for practicing Affirmation and Visualization
This IPL-Columbia Master Class offers you the opportunity to go on a focused 6-week learning journey to gain mastery over a particular personal leadership topic. Scientific insights and tools are supplemented with a strong dose of practice and personal integration.
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Time Required: 2 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- Certificate of Completion from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and framework
Self-Management is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.