This Executive Program is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia. You will also earn one day of credit towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more.
Driving Performance and Change
domain: science of people
Spring: Jan. 30, 2017 to Apr. 23, 2017
Summer: May 22, 2017 to Aug. 13, 2017
Fall: Sept. 11, 2017 to Dec. 3, 2017
Enroll Now by providing your contact details in the form on the right. Click on Proceed to Enroll to complete your enrollment.
We have limited scholarships available. Learn more
The only constant in today’s volatile, uncertain and complex world is change. Leaders have to continually evolve, grow and adjust to their changing environment, and get their people to do the same. Driving Performance and Change shows you how to maximize your impact as a leader during times of change.
You will learn practical ways to deliver effective feedback and to coach your people in order to help them cultivate self-awareness, close performance gaps, develop new capabilities, challenge their own mindsets, and approach their full potential. You will learn how to practice resilience so you can neutralize barriers, rebound from setbacks, adapt to new conditions and inspire change. And you will learn how to lead people on a change journey by getting them to successfully implement critical changes in behavior.
We often see our selves and others as fixed, in terms of our personality, character and professional skills. This program will give you a powerful new understanding of how much untapped potential there is for you and your people to change. And you will gain practical techniques to help you and your people adapt and flourish in a constantly changing world.
Driving Performance and Change provides you with a scientific and practical pathway to growing your people's capabilities and performance, and growing your own self as well.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Leading Change
Maximize your personal impact at times of change
- Mindsets and behaviors that restrict people from changing their behavior
- 5 components of the Change Formula – for changing yourself or others.
- Building a behavior change plan
- Best practices drawn from psychology and “change champions” – great leaders and successful organizations – on how to change mindsets and behavior
- Real-world case study involving the turnaround of an organization at a critical moment in a great city’s history
- Analysis of a great leader’s change speech (recorded on video)
Part II: Developing People from the Inside-Out
Help your people close performance gaps and build new skills
- Mindsets that may be limiting you from developing your people
- 5 principles for giving effective feedback
- When to offer feedback; the possibilities and perils of real-time feedback
- How to create a feedback-friendly culture
- Template for planning and executing a successful feedback dialog
- 6 coaching principles
- Techniques to maximize your coaching results
- Template to plan and execute a successful coaching dialog
Part III: Resilient Leadership
Learn, adapt and thrive in the midst of setbacks and challenges
- 5 principles of resilient leadership and tools to put these principles into practice
- How people typically respond to adversity
- The winner’s response to adversity – and a practical toolkit for getting there
- How to anticipate and respond to risks and uncertainty
- How to translate failure into opportunity
- How to make resilience a daily habit
- Stories and insights of how great leaders have practiced resilience
The Driving Performance and Change program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking to grow their people's capabilities and character, and grow their own self as well.
This IPL-Columbia Executive Program allows you, over a 12 week timeframe, to build a broader personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Driving Performance and Change is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.