This Executive Program is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia. You will also earn two days of credit towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more.
Winning People's Support
domain: science of people
Spring: Jan. 30, 2017 to Apr. 23, 2017
Summer: May 22, 2017 to Aug. 13, 2017
Fall: Sept. 11, 2017 to Dec. 3, 2017
Enroll Now by providing your contact details in the form on the right. Click on Proceed to Enroll to complete your enrollment.
We have limited scholarships available. Learn more
To have a meaningful impact in life and leadership, it isn’t enough to simply have the right idea. We need to overcome other people’s resistance, accommodate others’ interests without compromising our own, forge a collaborative path, resolve conflict and get key stakeholders aligned along a winning path. Winning People’s Support provides a powerful set of insights and tools to help you navigate the interpersonal and organizational challenges that inevitably arise on the road to success in life and leadership.
You will acquire a set of concrete principles and techniques for how to turn conflict into collaboration, disagree constructively, say “no”, and respond gracefully to criticism. You will learn how to influence others strategically – not simply to meet expedient, short-term needs but to drive sustained impact over the course of your career. You will learn what it takes to get people to trust you, and acquire a practical toolkit to build trust-based relationships.
Winning People’s Support will help you appreciate how your greatest asset as a leader is your personal brand, and will teach you how to build your brand from the inside-out. You will walk away with the core people skills you need to maximize your impact in life and leadership.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Mastering Difficult Conversations
Translate moments of conflict into win-win outcomes
- Key drivers of success in difficult conversations
- 5 principles + 10 techniques for getting positive outcomes from difficult conversations
- Scientific research on how our emotions, thoughts, beliefs and values affect our dynamics during moments of conflict
- Insights from great leaders in how to move people from conflict to collaboration, win over one’s opponents, and achieve win-win breakthroughs
- Practical tools for how to disagree constructively and how to say “No”
Part II: Strategic Influencing
Win others' support for your causes
- Differentiating between compliance and commitment
- 12 tactics to win others’ support, identified by the latest science of persuasion
- 5 principles of strategic influencing that help you drive long-term impact
- Template to prepare for and conduct an influencing discussion
- IPL’s library of video role-plays and film clips that demonstrate poor and strong examples of influencing in practice
- How great leaders gain commitment for their agenda from a broad range of stakeholders
- Analysis of a feature film that powerfully illustrates great influencing in action
Part III: Building Trust at High Speed
Cultivate a strong personal leadership brand that gets people to trust you.
- The critical role of trust in professional life
- 5 mindsets that erode trust – and 5 mindsets that maximize trust
- Principles for building trust at high speed
- Building blocks of trust – and practical ways you can build trust along each block
- Analysis of a feature-film based on an inspiring real-life story of how a great leader got people to trust him – and how this trust helped him achieve remarkable impact
The Winning People’s Support program is designed for executives of all levels who want to build their personal leadership brand and acquire the core people skills to maximize their positive impact in work and life.
This IPL-Columbia Executive Program allows you, over a 12 week timeframe, to build a broader personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- IPL’s proprietary Virtual Mentor platform for practice and feedback
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- Two days of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Winning People's Support is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.