This Executive Program is offered in partnership with Columbia Business School Executive Education. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by IPL & Columbia. You will also earn one day of credit towards a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School. Learn more.
Mastering Your Self
Domain: Science of SelF
Spring: Jan. 30, 2017 to Apr. 23, 2017
Summer: May 22, 2017 to Aug. 13, 2017
Fall: Sept. 11, 2017 to Dec. 3, 2017
Enroll Now by providing your contact details in the form on the right. Click on Proceed to Enroll to complete your enrollment.
We have limited scholarships available. Learn more
Despite our best intentions, we often fail to draw upon the “better angels of our nature”. We struggle with achieving work-life balance, taming our bad habits, controlling our emotions, maximizing our energy and staying true to our personal values in social situations. And yet, we cannot rise to our highest potential in life and leadership without achieving this mastery over our inner dominion.
Mastering Your Self shows you how to maximize your outer impact in life and leadership by pursuing inner mastery. You will learn how to tame the relentless demands on your time, gain emotional mastery, unshackle yourself from bad habits by cultivating self-discipline, maximize your energy, restructure your social environment, and optimize your nutrition.
While you do not have 100% control over your outer environment, there are choices you make every day that affect your performance, relationships, health and happiness. Mastering Your Self enhances your awareness of these everyday inner and outer choices– in behaviors, thoughts and emotions – and then equips you with practical techniques for reshaping these choices so you can direct your energy in the best possible way in the service of your highest aspirations.
Mastering Your Self will reveal to you how the path to success – to high performance and happiness – is as much about mastering your inner forces as it is about mastering the outer.
What You Will Learn
Part I: Mastering Emotions
Gain mastery over anger, anxiety, pessimism, stress and other emotions
- Latest scientific findings on the costs and benefits of key emotions: anger, anxiety and optimism.
- What science and great leaders can teach us about the optimal state of each emotion
- Practical tools for gaining emotional mastery by changing your behaviors and changing your thoughts
- 10 mental distortions that get us in trouble; practical techniques for untwisting your thinking
Part II: Self-Management
Cultivate self-discipline, tame time, and pursue intentional change
- The three levers for maximizing your productivity
- 10 principles for managing time by managing your self
- Tools to help you work smarter, not work harder
- Latest scientific findings on how self-discipline shapes your success in life and leadership
- Scientifically validated techniques for cultivating self-discipline
- How your thoughts and imagination affect your performance
- Using affirmations and visualization to boost your performance
Part III: Operating at Full Potential
Create the physical and social conditions that allow you to operate at full potential
- Latest findings from sociology, psychology and neuroscience on how your social interactions subconsciously influence your character, personality, happiness, performance and behavior
- Practical techniques for redesigning your social environment to allow you to operate at full potential
- How your body produces energy, and how your everyday habits affect your energy levels
- Scientifically established best practices for managing your energy levels
- Modern-day myths about health and diet – and how they can get you in trouble
- The new science of nutrition
- Practical guidance on transitioning toward an ideal diet
The Mastering Your Self program is designed for executives of all levels who are looking for practical techniques to master their thoughts, emotions and behaviors so they can direct their energy in the best possible way in the service of their highest aspirations.
This Columbia-IPL Executive Program allows you, over a 12 week timeframe, to build a broader personal leadership competency.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Time Required: 3 hours per week
- Self-paced, high-quality video lectures
- Online reflections and discussion
- Opportunity to interact with a global community of executive participants
- IPL’s proprietary myPL mobile learning platform for convenient on-the-go access
- Certificate of Completion (Executive Program) from the Institute for Personal Leadership & Columbia Business School Executive Education.
- One day of credit toward a Certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits from Columbia Business School.
- Access to the IPL toolbox – tools, templates, and frameworks
Mastering Your Self is based on IPL’s scientific learning system, integrating breakthrough research in psychology, neuroscience, behavioral economics, sociology, medicine and psychotherapy, a rigorous study of great leaders and organizations, and a practical toolkit to drive tangible improvement in your personal leadership skills.
This online course is taught by Prof. Hitendra Wadhwa, Professor of Practice at Columbia Business School and Founder of the Institute for Personal Leadership. You can read his bio on the Columbia website or here on the IPL Founder’s page.