IPL's Strategic Leadership curriculum focuses on two areas:
- Driving Strategic Impact
- Disciplined Innovation
Driving Strategic Impact
Driving Strategic Impact trains executives in how to become trusted strategic advisors within their organizations and with their clients.
Over the last few decades, top-tier strategy consulting firms have cultivated a unique set of skills that consistently help them deliver high-impact solutions to complex strategic issues. Driving Strategic Impact gives participants the opportunity to acquire this skillset to become more effective at addressing strategic issues and having greater impact within their organization and with their clients.
Driving Strategic Impact is organized around the core skill of structured problem-solving which takes participants through four phases of a strategy project: defining the scope, structuring the problem, gathering and analyzing data, and developing recommendations. This core training in structured problem solving is supplemented by additional modules on managing strategy projects, communication and influencing.
All program insights are translated into a practical toolkit that participants can use right away to grow their effectiveness in driving strategic impact. Through a combination of hands-on exercises, role-plays and live feedback, participants generate concrete breakthroughs in how they can translate these insights and tools into more effective behaviors.
DRIVING STRATEGIC IMPACT (ONLINE)
Summer SESSION STARTS SEPTEMBER 30, 2015. LEARN MORE.
Benefits of Driving Strategic Impact
- Establish an understanding with sponsors and key constituencies on the need for a strategy project, and the appropriate approach and resources to be deployed
- Concretely define the scope of a strategy project to enhance the prospects of a successful outcome
- Rapidly identify core business issues and focus your problem-solving effort in the right direction
- Efficiently gather the right information to build a relevant fact base, extract information from internal and external sources, and synthesize it to drive key conclusions
- Develop recommendations that provide the highest value to the organization among feasible alternatives, and that withstand the scrutiny of senior executives
- Develop a compelling storyline to organize and communicate your findings and recommendations
- Use a range of influencing tactics to win support from key stakeholders
- Develop trust-based relationships with your sponsors, clients, managers and colleagues
Most business environments are increasingly dynamic and unpredictable. As a result, the traditional approach to business planning and strategy development, which assumes the future can be predicted and planned for, is no longer working. What’s needed is a fresh approach that enables disciplined risk-taking, allowing organizations to continuously generate and test new ideas and learn, adapt and improve on an ongoing basis. We call this Disciplined Innovation. Innovation training often focuses on the development of new products and services. IPL’s training on Disciplined Innovation take a much broader view on innovation. What channels do you use to engage with your customers? What programs do you run to generate awareness and interest for new products? How do you retain your best accounts? How do you design the customer experience? The focus of our training is to help you drive Disciplined Innovation across the full range of your product development, sales, marketing and customer relationship management activities.
All program insights are translated into a practical toolkit that participants can use right away to grow their effectiveness in driving Disciplined Innovation. Through a combination of hands-on exercises and games, participants generate concrete breakthroughs in how they can translate these insights and tools into more effective innovation behaviors.
Benefits of Disciplined Innovation
- Take informed risks, and distinguish “smart” failures from “dumb” failures
- Move beyond debates on “which is the right strategy” to implementing strategies in a staged manner where they can be continuously monitored, improved, adjusted or “fast-failed”
- Accelerate the identification of winning concepts/business models
- Improve the likelihood of success for new projects
- Enable flexible responses to different future scenarios
- Reduce downside risk for investments in new initiatives
- Drive continuous innovation by constantly testing new ideas
- Develop deep reserves of organizational learning to better identify what will work, and what will not, in the future
- Identify limiting mindsets and beliefs and shifting them to more empowering ones to drive innovation