Seismic shifts in the 21st century are pushing leaders to adopt a whole new mindset to how they work and lead: Inclusion. Employees, customers and communities expect today’s organizations to respect and value all individuals and groups. And as organizations increasingly face the need to challenge limiting mindsets and practices and find fresh paths to success, leaders are feeling the need to foster diversity. But diversity itself is not enough—organizations need to learn how to draw out the diverse points of view, experiences and beliefs of their people. Those teams and organizations that excel at this kind of inclusion demonstrate higher employee engagement and superior performance.
So it is not a surprise that organizations have invested billions of dollars in diversity and inclusion. What IS surprising, though, is that few tangible gains have been achieved, and sometimes the effect of D&I initiatives is even counterproductive. The reason? D&I is often approached like other forms of training that require simply cognitive mastery of a new domain or skill. But with diversity and inclusion, you’re going much deeper into people’s psyches, touching raw nerves, dearly-held beliefs and deeply-embedded habits. What’s needed instead is a whole new approach to developing Inclusive Leaders that starts from within, opens up leaders’ hearts, and inspires them to practice inclusion as a way to tap into people’s full potential.
This program starts by reframing Inclusive Leadership in a way that inspires participants to embrace inclusivity not simply as an organizational but a personal imperative. This opens up participants to take ownership over their growth journey, to turn within to reflect on their values, beliefs and instincts, and to “become a lotus” rather than waiting for someone to “drain the swamp.” Participants learn 6 Principles of Inclusive Leadership, and 6 Practices to put these principles into action. They also learn how to deal with the 5 Paradoxes of Inclusion and how to create a broader Culture of Inclusion among their people.
What Participants Will Learn
- Challenges and Opportunities with Inclusive Leadership
- Defining “Inclusion”
- 6 Principles of Inclusive Leadership
- 6 Practices of Inclusive Leadership
- Resolving the 5 Paradoxes of Inclusion
- How can Inclusion help both to dissolve boundaries AND affirm individual differences?
- Can we practice inclusion without compromising speed, quality, and ownership?
- How can a business stay exclusive while becoming inclusive?
- How can we nurture everyone in our organization while still giving special focus to our high-potentials?
- How can we create a comfortable environment for people to debate uncomfortable topics?